|Online Contact||Email: Housing Needs|
Tel: 023 8028 5234
The Housing Needs team is available from:
8:45am - 5:15pm; Monday to Thursday
|A housing advisor is on duty to take calls between:||10:00am - 4:00pm; Monday to Friday|
If you require assistance, please call the number above. If you require emergency assistance outside of normal office hours, you should telephone the council's Emergency Service.
Information and links from this page are intended to assist people who may have accommodation problems and for those who are seeking practical Housing Advice.
We provide advice and assistance on a wide range of housing related problems.
Many people living in accommodation in the private sector, are unsure of their rights and are unsure where they can go for help. Also, many landlords renting out accommodation are not aware that we can offer impartial advice regarding problems they may experience with their tenants.
We provide advice on:
- Armed Forces Personnel - Following the signing of the Armed Forces Community Covenant we now have a single point of contact for forces personnel with housing issues. Please see the link below 'Civilian Housing Option' or call Housing Needs for more information.
- Deposits - at the end of a tenancy, deposit money may be withheld for different reasons. Advice can be given to landlords and tenants in relation to this.
- Disrepair - people living in private rented accommodation can often have problems with disrepair and many landlords and tenants are not aware of their obligations. There are also some schemes available to people that own their homes.
- Homelessness - advice and assistance can be given at any time if people think they may be homeless in the future, or where they are already homeless.
- Homesearch Housing Waiting List - The Council maintains a waiting list of people who wish to be considered for Council or Housing Association accommodation. Once an applicant is on the waiting list, they can apply for individual vacancies which are advertised under the Homesearch scheme. If you wish to go on the waiting list, please use the contact details above request an application form.
- Housing Options - we offer advice on the range of options which are available to people who are looking for alternative housing.
- Landlords - if you have a property to rent within the New Forest, there are a variety of schemes available to assist you.
- Long Leaseholders with a private Freeholder - problems can be experienced with the Freeholder, for example, in relation to Service Charges.
- Mortgages - people fall into mortgage arrears for many different reasons, such as unemployment or health problems. There are various options available which can prevent someone from losing their home, even if court proceedings have already begun.
- Notices to leave accommodation - this includes notices given to tenants because a tenancy is coming to an end, tenancy agreements that have expired or are expiring, and issues where tenants may have breached the terms of their tenancy agreement (for example, by non payment of rent).
- Rent Increases - in most situations, a landlord must follow a set procedure if he wants a tenant to pay more rent.
- Relationship Breakdown - many people are not aware of their rights when they separate from a partner. Advice can be given regarding their housing situation and any benefits they may be entitled to.
The following links may be of use to you:
|CAB | Shelter | Housing Care (Support for older people) | Rightmove|
|About Street Link | Introducing StreetLink | Propertywide | Homesearch Waiting List Application Form Civilian Housing Option|