Search site

Frequently Asked Questions

1.Can I check whether a Tree is covered by a Preservation Order, whether my property is Listed or in a Conservation Area, what use class it falls in etc?
 We can provide information on protected trees if you complete and submit an Environmental Information Request Form. However you will probably get a quicker and more comprehensive response if you contact the National Park direct, as they deal with tree matters on behalf of the District Council. Information on whether a property is Listed or in a Conservation Area or as to its planning history can only be obtained by completing our Environmental Information Request Form. Confirmation as to the Use Class of a particular property can only be ascertained through submission of a formal Certificate of Lawfulness Application on our Planning forms page.
NB: We do not have a Duty Officer who can answer such queries in person.
2.Can I speak to a Duty Officer please?
 As mentioned above you must use our Am I likely to get permission page to seek an officer level opinion on whether a planning/listed building or tree proposal would be likely to get consent.
3.I'd like to report an unsafe tree.

Please contact our Planning Admin Team on 023 8028 5345 or email

4. Can I check the status of an application - any comments received, any problems or any decision or recommendation yet?

Please use our Planning applications online to check the status of an application. If this does not provide the answers you need, please contact our Planning Admin Team on 023 8028 5345, email, who will try to assist or arrange for the Case Officer to contact you.

5.I'd like to report an enforcement matter.
 Please fill in and submit our online Planning Enforcement Enquiry Form
6. Do I need planning permission or building regulation consent?
 We cannot provide planning advice on the spot or over the phone so you must access our Do I need planning permission page for guidance. For advice on building regulation consent please telephone 023 8028 5245 or refer to Building Control.
NB: We do not have a Duty Officer who can answer such queries in person.
7. Can you guide me to information and forms on your website?

Please call our Planning Admin Team on 023 8028 5345, email

8. I'm a neighbour. I want more information on a particular application.
 Full information, including all plans and comments received on all current applications can be easily accessed through Planning applications online.
9.What is on the next Planning Committee and what were the decisions made by them in the past? 

Please view How can I find details about the Planning Committee including reports and agendas?. If you want to know a decision shortly after a Committee, please phone our Planning Admin Team on 023 8028 5345 or email

10.What are residential permitted development rights and will I need permission?

Information on residential permitted development is available on the The National Planning Portal. Information on how to confirm whether a proposal requires planning permission is available on our planning advice pages. We can also tell you whether any particular constraints apply to your property if you complete our Environmental Information Request form.
NB: We can not provide such information on the phone or in person.

More Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need planning permission to carry out a scheme or project?
What does this planning term mean?
What is a Certificate of Lawfulness?
What are permitted development rights and will I need planning permission?
When can I start work?
What happens if I do work without approval?
How long does permission last?
Do I need permission to display an advertisement?
Will I need building regulations application when I have planning permission?
How can I view the Hazardous Substances Register?
What Customer Services Standards Apply
What are the Councils requirements when considering comments on planning applications?
What are the Council's Affordable Housing requirements?
Does the Council seek affordable housing contributions for small scale residential development?
How does the Council deal with Viability Assessments submitted at application or pre-application stage?
Where can I obtain the planning history of a site and the constraints that apply?
What factors do the Council take on board when determining planning applications for temporary and permanent agricultural dwellings?
Does the Council have a Privacy Notice?

Planning Advice
How do I obtain planning permission and advice?
Why can I not be told informally that planning permission is required?

Planning Applications
What types of approvals are there under the Town and Country Planning Acts?
Planning applications: how does the process work?
How long will it take to obtain planning permission?
What is a relevant planning consideration?
How much will my planning application cost?
How do I appeal against a decision?
How do I view and comment on a planning application or appeal?
How can I register an interest in being informed of planning applications in my area?
How can I be advised as to key changes of status on any application I am interested in?
How are planning applications processed?
How can I find details about the Planning Committee including reports and agendas?
What Planning application forms do I use and are there guidance notes?
What is the Councils policy on amended plans?
How does the Council deal with planning conditions?
What are non material and minor material amendments?
What do all the dates on the website and in letters and consultations regarding planning applications mean?
What neighbour consultations do the Council undertake when an application is received?
What do the PAR (Parish/Town Council) Codes mean?
How does the Council discharge its duty to work with applicants?
What files do the Council hold with regard to a planning application and which plans are displayed at Committee?
How does the Council deal with surface water drainage matters during the planning process?
What plans and documents are needed to accompany my planning application
How do the Council deal with highway considerations with regard to planning applications and pre-application enquiries?
Should I tell my neighbours about my plans before I submit a planning application?
Is the Council likely to grant 'Permission in Principle' following an application for residential development?
Will my agreement be sought before pre-commencement conditions are added?

Planning Policy
Planning Policy?
What are the Council's requirements regarding the Housing Standards Review (Code for Sustainable Homes)?
What are the Council's Public Open Space requirements?
What are the Council's Transport Contribution requirements?
What is the Community Infrastructure Levy?
What are the Council's requirements for Habitats Mitigation?
How does the Council deal with Habitats Mitigation?
adobe icon How are contributions towards Access Management calculated? [253kb]

Updated: 18 Sep 2018
Powered by GOSS iCM